Monday, November 17, 2008

Wiinjuries are Wiilly Worth It!

On my last birthday, I bought a Wii. Hmm, you might say, a middle-aged woman bought herself a video game for her birthday? -- Loser!!!

Not so! I actually bought the gift of time with my family. Lets face it, once the "kids" become adults, they have very little time for ole Mom and Dad. That's okay, they should be out blazing trails toward their future lives. It just makes the time we do get to spend together that much more special.

...and if you find a way to increase the frequency and volume of that together time.....well, I say "all's fair in love and war". And I love my kids!

The Wii brings the kids home - with or without their loves - at least three times per month. We had so much fun this past weekend; hours of bowling, tennis, Wii fit, etc. Some weekends it's American Idol or Guitar Hero. But each time, it brings laughter and closeness.

Who knew, though, that you could get sore shoulders, laryngitis, aching muscles, etc. from virtual activities!? And who knew that there's a term for these "injuries"? We thought we were being clever by complaining about our "wiinjuries"...until I googled it and found 1,440 listings for this term!

Wii is revolutionizing the language!

Wii is revolutionizing my family dynamics!

I've got a corner of my kids' time...and I'm wiilly, wiilly grateful.

1 comment:

Huggy Bear said...

Wiinjuries, I'm torn, I have to wonder where our lives are heading. I suppose the good news is that a Wiijury is most likely less painful or debilitating than an actual injury. And yet, isn't life about living and experiencing what's real rather than what's virtual? Doesn't the pain from tennis elbow, a sprained ankle, or the cuts and bruises that accompany most activities provide proof that we experienced something, that we actually live life rather than watch it, that we are truly alive? However, fundamentally we need love. We need to love and be loved. How can anything that brings families or people closer be wrong. I suppose the ideal would be to capitalize on the bonding benefits of virtual activities by mixing "real-life" activities when you can. As parents, isn't it our responsibility to strengthen and embed the idea of living life rather than watching it go by.