Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time is the Best Gift

Have you ever felt guilty for "doing good"? I'm a care partner volunteer through the United Way for families living with Alzheimers. There are two lovely gentlemen, neighbors, who are on this journey together. They and their wives have been living with this for a long time. The wives are their primary caregivers - 24/7 without relief. I'm going to give them a break for 3 hours each Saturday. The guys and I are going to hang out, play cards or checkers, go for walks - whatever they're up for.

The wives will be able to use the 3 hours to do something they don't normally get to do....like visit with their grandchildren, get their hair done, shop without having to worry about hubby wandering off, going for a drive on their own so they can scream if they want to! Things we take for granted every day. They're also grateful to have someone new to talk with - and their stories are so interesting.

I feel guilty hearing their gratitude - getting to make their day makes me feel like a million dollars - I think I'm actually getting more out of this than they are....

Please give someone your time today...even if it's just 5 minutes of undivided attention. You'll make yourself feel better at the same time.

No comments: